THE WORLD’S FIRST
FULLY AUTOMATIC INTEGRITY
SELF TESTING SYSTEM
FOR PLATE HEAT EXCHANGERS
This patented, innovative and cost-effective system is putting control of integrity testing back in the manufacturers hands together with preventing contamination, ensuring product quality, improving productivity and reducing downtime and costs.
The integrated system automatically tests pasteurizers and plate heat exchangers (PHEs) DAILY for cracks or other defects with minimum downtime and maximum accuracy. HEIST also has the capability to carry out an automatic holding time test on the PHE at the start and finish of production.
When it comes to the Dairy, Beer, Beverage, or Pharmaceutical industry, product quality and consumer health is a key priority and the need for improved systems around plate heat exchanger integrity testing has long existed. The traditional norm of testing PHEs only 2-4 times a year leaves PHEs vulnerable to cracks and other defects which can cause severe contamination. This can lead to quality issues with products and health problems for consumers along with forcing costly product recalls and damaging manufacturers' reputations.
Until now, plate failure and other defects were difficult to diagnose without dismantling the equipment - resulting in costly downtime. This time-consuming process also risked significant loss of production and product, along with potential equipment damage.
Introducing Unison's HEIST system. HEIST, the world’s first automated heat exchanger integrity self-test system is solving these issues by setting a new standard testing procedure for all types of critical liquid-production PHEs.
No more blindly hoping for PHEs to work without fault until the next test. This seamless system automatically tests pasteurizers and PHEs DAILY for cracks or other defects with minimum downtime and maximum accuracy. Along with automating the integrity testing, HEIST also has the capability to carry out daily holding time tests at the start and finish of production, showing the final test results on screen immediately.
HEIST is fully automatic and non-destructive, with no pipe dismantling required while testing for cracks. This helps ensure no unnecessary damage is caused to the plates. Additionally, HEIST only uses the customer’s process water, thus greatly preventing contamination. Reliable and fast, manufacturers can access their HEIST results in minutes and get the on-the-spot quality certificates after every test. This cutting-edge system integrates right into new and existing plate heat exchangers, with minimum hassle and implementation cost while offering an added layer of quality protection before each production run.
There is extreme risk in only testing critical liquid production PHEs a few times a year as a crack can appear at anytime - yet this is currently the industry standard. Restrictions in accessing process equipment and the cost of each integrity test makes it unfeasible for companies to carry out tests more often. To ensure product quality and prevent contamination, testing should occur much more frequently. With HEIST testing is daily.
OVERPRESSURE SYSTEM (INDUSTRY STANDARD)
HEIST is setting the new industry standard for integrity testing - detecting cracked plates prior to production.
Presently overpressure systems are a very valid and necessary protection to a pasteuriser but they do not guarantee protection from cracked plates.
Vulnerabilities of overpressure testing systems include:
- During the separator de-sludging process (which occurs 4 times per hour).
- No prevention of cross-contamination, especially when there are large cracks.
- Reliant on the constant running of an extra production pump.
- Risk giving a false confidence involving the PHE’s integrity.
- Overpressure systems with a faulty back pressure valve can create a pulsing effect in the PHE, resulting in cracked plates: the exact outcome the system is designed to detect and prevent.
- Require constant monitoring and recording of information which is not always reliable.
Because of the above vulnerabilities it was clear that an alternative solution was required. By setting the new standard in integrity testing HEIST enables liquid processors to take charge of their quality control and ensure integrity for their own PHEs.
HEIST versus other testing technologies
- Non-destructive, fully automatic PHE testing technology. There is no need to dismantle the PHE, resulting in minimal downtime and no damage to expensive equipment.
- Requires process water only, without the need for gas or chemical solutions (and therefore, no risk of introducing possible contaminants).
- Carries out automatic holding time tests daily during production. It is the only system on the market capable of carrying out both tests.
- Testing takes mere minutes and can be carried out every day prior to production.
- Immediate, on-the-spot integrity and holding time test results.
- Integrity certificate generated following each test.
- Allows the user to take control of all validation - with the complete system testing control.
- The only integrated self-test system available on the market.
- Capable of detecting cracked plate leaks to an accuracy of 30μm.
- HEIST digitizes data to ensure accurate results and data integrity.
Automatically calculates the PU (Pasteurising Units) for beer production.
End User Benefits of HEIST
- Protection against vulnerabilities of over-pressure systems.
- Reduced risk of contamination.
- Reduced risk of costly product recalls.
- Reduced on-going testing costs.
- Reduced downtime.
- Increased productivity.
- Ensures product quality.
- Reduced reliance on outside contractors.